Turkey Day and Black Friday are just around the corner, and I’m sure you’re looking forward to it just as much as I am! However this year instead of Black Friday, why not try out Plaid Friday! This is an alternative to your typical Friday after Thanksgiving, a day in which consumers could and should support small local businesses, instead of the big box stores.
You may be wondering how Plaid Friday was born, and the answer is in Oakland, California in 2009 with gallery owner Kerri Johnson. She got fed up with the holiday shopping focus always being on big businesses, and she wanted to create a way for local and small businesses to “weave together” and create their own event and economic opportunity! This idea has since grown and is now known across the nation.
You can join this great event, and support the cause by wearing plaid and shopping the best sales on November 24th! No need to wake up at the crack of dawn! Sleep in! The deals will be there all day. Some of the participating local merchants in our community include:
- Batavia Bootery: $10 off any shoe purchase
- Batavia Marine: 5% off browning camo t-shirt
- Batavia Stage Florist: 20% off one item
- Charles Men’s Shop: $20 off $100 merchandise or gift certificate purchase
- Hearth and Soul: 25% off select items
- Lambert’s Design Jewelers: 5% off red ribbon clearance sale
- Pudgie’s Lawn & Garden Center: 10% off gift cards, 50% off pottery, 30% off massarelli statuaries, 25% off wind chimes and more
- R+D Outlet: 50% any item in the store
- Steve’s Styles: $5 gift certificate for every purchase of a $20 gift certificate
- Walking in The Woods Gifts: 20% off entire purchase
- Welch & Craine Trading Post: 20% off one item
- Wortzman Furniture: $100 off any purchase over $999.99
- McKay’s Antiques & Curiosity Shoppe: see specials in stores
- Ms. B-Haven Alpacas: bring in the ad and get 10% off
- Country Cottage: receive a free candle if wearing plaid
- Lake Street Florist & Gift Shoppe: 10% off Star Vine Gift Line
- The Divine Tree: 20% off one item
- Vintage & Vogue Shop: 20% off one item
- Nor-Web Leasing, Inc.: 15% off excluding appliances
Always ahead of the curve, Genesee Community College’s Fashion Design program created a plaid/tartan design several years ago. GCC’s plaid is registered with the Scottish Register of Tartan, National Archives of Scotland. The College’s official plaid is used by faculty, staff, clubs, and students at various events, particularly the College’s recent 50th Anniversary celebration where it helped to build the collegiate spirit.
Genesee Community College is one of the very few community colleges in the nation that has our own plaid design, especially one registered in Scotland, designed by alumni with various related projects managed by students! The plaid design has been used on men’s neck and bow ties, women’s silk scarves, as well vests, kilts, t-shirts (short and long sleeve), socks and stationary. New GCC plaid products will continue to provide students with merchandising opportunities.
If you are interested in purchasing GCC plaid products and supporting the Fashion Business program during this holiday season, visit www.gccfashion.live!