Foods to eat to improve memory and focus
Who wants to focus better in school? What if I told you that by eating certain foods, you could improve memory function and your ability to focus? There are many ways to reach out and grab what you want in this world. The following 15 foods could send you on your way to better grades, which will improve your self esteem!
- Contain Vitamin K and folate which help to ward off blood clots
- Also contains Vitamin B and C which keep you happy! They also need to be replenished in the body daily
- Improves cognitive function which helps you make the best decisions for your self throughout the day.
- Reduce inflammation and are high in antioxidants.
- Boosts energy during workouts
- Increases blood flow to the brain
- High levels of gallic acid which protects our brains from stress
- High in antioxidants
- Also contain vitamin C, K, and fiber
- Possesses healing amino acids that keep your immune system functioning properly and helps improve memory.
- High levels of vitamin K and choline. People who eat foods high in choline have been shown to perform better on memory tests than those who lack it in their diets.
- Vitamin C. Just one cup provides you with 150% of your recommended daily intake.
- High levels of antioxidants and other vitamins that act as natural anti-inflammatories.
- Luteolin is also found in celery. It is used to reduce inflammation in the brain which will improve memory function.
- Coconut oil is rich in Ketones. In particular, Medium-Chain-Triglycerides (MCT). Ketones are found to improve the memory.
- Rich in antioxidants known as flavanols. Flavanols are plant based nutrients.
- Considered a “superfood”
- Large amounts of choline!
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Rich in powerful antioxidants known as polyphenols.
- Vitamin E is also present. This vitamin prevents mental decline as we age.
- Excessive heat can decrease the amounts of vitamins and good things present. Try to use it in salads, or on bread, or other ways that don’t involve high heat.
Green, Leafy Vegetables
- Adding spinach, kale, collards, and mustard greens to your diet could help slow cognitive decline. This will aid in making better decisions for your life and keeping your brain in tip-top health!
- Vitamin K is heavily present.
- Carnosic acid helps the brain from neurodegeneration (deterioration of the brain).
- High levels of antioxidants help protect eyesight from going bad too!
- Packed with omega-3 fatty acids to improve function of the brain and minimize brain fog. Also improves memory
- Make sure you’re buying wild-caught salmon instead of farm raised. Farm-raised is filled with mercury and toxins that are bad for you.
- Curcumin is a chemical found in turmeric. It is one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory agents
- Improves your brain’s oxygen intake and helps boost antioxidant levels to keep your immune system healthy!
- Improves cognitive health.
- High levels of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals help improve mental alertness
- Vitamin E can help ward off Alzheimer’s.
Here are some cool recipes I found to help you with this. I hope you like them, and there are tons more on the internet. Also, it doesn’t hurt to be creative! I’ve found that Greek yogurt is a good vehicle for fruits and nuts, as well as pasta for vegetables and oils. If you are gluten intolerant, or just don’t like to eat it, opt for gluten free choices instead.
Grilled Cheese with Smoked Turkey and Avocado
In this recipe, the classic grilled cheese sandwich gets a healthy new makeover. All you need is bread (any kind; the grainier the better!), your favorite cheese, a few slices of avocado, and some turkey.
Butter one side of each piece of bread. Build your sandwich and make sure both buttered sides of bread are on the outside of the sandwich. Place the built sandwich in a pan on medium heat. Flip the sandwich over once the bottom piece of bread is golden brown. Once the other piece of bread is browned, you’re all done!
Blueberry mango smoothie
½ cup of blueberries
½ of a mango
1 cup of coconut milk
½ cup of plain Greek yogurt
Honey to taste (optional)
*Add walnuts to use another brain power ingredient!
Put all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
Well, there you have it, folks! Take care of yourselves and get the most out of your college education with these brain foods. Good luck!