By Pinn Duong
Due to the increasing number of campus closures of universities/colleges as the result of COVID-19 outbreak, several companies have begun to offer short-term resources to support students’ urgent needs and ease their transition to distance-learning.
- Who: students with valid edu email address
- When: Tickets must be purchased by March 22, 2020. Travel is valid Monday through Thursday, and Saturdays through May 31, 2020, for round-trip domestic nonstop travel within the continental United States
- How: one student can fly free for every one-way or round-trip Discount Den Fare purchased on qualifying flights and dates using promo code. Carefully read their details & restrictions here and here before booking flights
- Who: for households with children in grades K-12 or in college who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription at any service level up to 100 Mbps
- When: starting Monday, March 16th
- How: Families can call (844) 488-8395 to enroll. Installation fees will be waived for new student households
This 30 days free self-storage offer is typically offered to communities impacted by a natural disaster. This is the first time U-Haul has extended the offer Company-wide. “More and more universities are giving instructions to leave campus and go home. Students and their parents are in need of moving and storage solutions. We have the expertise and network to help, and that’s exactly what we’re going to do.” said U-Haul president John Taylor.
- Who: new customers with college IDs, subject to availability
- When: unspecified
- How: create an account at Collegeboxes.com to initiate an order. Boxes and packing supplies will then be delivered to a student’s residence. Once packed, an at-home service will pick up the boxes from the dorm or apartment at no additional charge.
Enterprise offers travel assistance to students whose colleges/universities announced closures, by waiving the young renter fees for rentals and reduce the age minimum
- Who: College Students 18 – 24 years of age
- When: until May 31, 2020
- How: book online at link above
Of course, there’s no point in utilizing those distance-learning resources without doing the basics – protect yourself and others from the infections.
- Who: everyone
- When: until COVID-19 is no longer a threat
- How: wash hands with soap for at least 20 seconds, routinely clean all frequently touched surfaces with disposable gloves, wear masks. Here’s a great reminder if you are young and unafraid of the coronavirus.
Share with us any other helpful resources that you know of to help other students, too!
Featured image by Capital Markets on Medium